Sunday, 11 October 2009

3D - glass


Jug heads - Kookaburra
ceramic, cast glass
2009
I am collecting old ceramic electric jugs as an on-going installation project. The jugs were popular appliances in the 1950s and 1960s and are as Australian and kitsch as figurines of native Australian birds or tea towels with boomerangs on them. While many are in working order because their elements were designed to be replaceable they are heavy, cumbersome and do not have the electricity saving, and convenience of modern kettles. In addition I have found that their plastic or Bakelite lids are vulnerable to breakage. As a comment on sustainability I decided to re-birth them with glass lids in the shape of Australian birds heads. The idea is to recycle these jugs and keep them working in some capacity - either aesthetic or as lamps, as a critique of our throw away consumer culture and our lack of care for the fragile birds whose profiles will replace the fragile lids they once had.

All donations of jugs will be gladly accepted (broken lid or intact). I am hoping to collect a room full to represent the variety of indigenous birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment