
I started drawing Nudes in with a life drawing group.


"'The time has come,' the Walrus said, 'to talk of many things: Of shoes - and ships- and sealing wax - Of cabbages - and kings- And why the sea is boiling hot- And whether pigs have wings.'" Lewis Carroll, "The Walrus and the Carpenter." in The Penguin Book of Light Verse, ed. Gavin Ewart (England: Penguin Books, 1980), 341.



phone - 0402245100
Exhibitions
2006 - 2009 Sculpture class tutor for Hornsby Kuring-gai Community College
2009 curator for HKCC student and tutor art exhibition
2008 finalist Hills Grammar art prize
2007 finalist Hills Grammar art prize
2007 The Gallery School end of year exhibition by invitation
Commissions
2009 Portraits - private commission
2008 Nudes - The Twig home wares store
Education
2009 Work experience with Ann Robinson Glass Caster NZ
2008/9 Sydney College of the Arts - Glass Studio
2007 The Gallery School, Meadowbank
1983 Bachelor of Arts
My art practice is focused on sculpture using a variety of materials and methodologies. Fascinated by form, I have been carving stone for a number of years. Since joining the glass studio at SCA I have been building skills for casting carved wax forms in glass. I keep returning to the stylized human body and in particular human animal hybrids. The latter interests me for exploring and expressing human / animal interdependency and to investigate the cultural meanings and power invested in hybrid forms.
In my latest glass works Composition 15 and Death by Water I have been negotiating an understanding of fundamental concepts surrounding life choices and death.
In a secondary sense I maintain an active interest in drawing and watercolour developing skills in perception and representation using as subjects the human form, plants and animals. My current interest in birds is stimulated by my surroundings - a five acre property in the rural North West of Sydney surrounded by trees and birds.
I am a hoarder by disposition with a tendency for anthropomorphism. Collecting seeds and pieces of wood and seeing animals in these fragments that must be constructed like a puzzle satisfies an urge for reclamation . The obsolesce of objects due to developing technology (such as old ceramic jugs) is a trigger for me to perform a reassignment operation in order to save these friendly objects from extinction. Perhaps in doing so, I am also preserving a time past when everyday objects were designed for longevity as well as comforting aesthetics. The glass lids are shaped as Australian indigenous birds in order to raise awareness of the need to protect species diversity.
No comments:
Post a Comment