Sunday, 11 October 2009

3D - carving


Male Torso
limestone
2009
500mm height

This Australian limestone is soft and easy to hand carve. It is sumptuous - the colour and texture of powdered milk. Though it is an "inside" statue it is sealed so that it doesn't shed crumbs of stone. It depicts a languid stretching motion. The inspiration was a picture of a classical greek torso. This work reduced the massive Greek chest and stylized the musculature while retaining the sense of stretching in muscle.





Female Torso
sandstone
2007
600mm height
White Sydney sandstone was used to create this female torso. This stone's texture is consistent without any indication of the stratification process that created it. The stone is so hard that it required an angle grinder to cut away the majority of it. The remaining work was hand finished. She is stylized to emphasize the folding of one curve of flesh into another. Anonymous, she stands guard at the front entrance of my home.

Both torsos were an exploration of form particularly in creating a sense of mutability of flesh in a material that is inelastic. When carving I imagine the shape is already complete within the stone and I am releasing it ... as one would release an object from a mould.


I have purchased a small wedge of white marble that I have not yet had the vision to begin working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment